Nigeria has a history of violence during general elections, especially in recent times. The reasons for this include the high stakes involved, the intense competition between political parties, and the deep-seated ethnic and religious tensions that exist in the country.
The most recent general election in Nigeria was held in 2019, and there were reports of violence in some parts of the country. The violence was mostly attributed to clashes between supporters of different political parties, as well as voter intimidation and ballot box snatching.
To stay safe during general elections in Nigeria, it is important to take certain precautions. Here are some tips:
- Stay informed: Stay up-to-date with the latest news and developments about the election. This will help you to make informed decisions about where to go and what to do.
- Avoid large crowds: Try to avoid large crowds, especially in areas where there have been reports of violence. If you must go out, try to go with a group of people and stay in well-lit areas.
- Be aware of your surroundings: Pay attention to your surroundings and be aware of any signs of trouble. If you notice anything suspicious, leave the area immediately.
- Have an emergency plan: Have a plan in place in case of an emergency. This may include having a way to contact family and friends, knowing the location of the nearest hospital or police station, and having a backup plan for transportation.
- Follow the instructions of security personnel: If you see security personnel in the area, follow their instructions. They are there to help keep you safe.
- Stay calm: If you find yourself in a dangerous situation, try to stay calm and avoid panicking. This will help you to think clearly and make better decisions.
- Report any incidents: If you witness any incidents of violence or voter intimidation, report them to the relevant authorities as soon as possible.
Overall, the key to staying safe during general elections in Nigeria is to be vigilant, stay informed, and avoid taking unnecessary risks.